Are you a registered professional?

Published August 9, 2017 at 13:44

UNISON’s Pofessional Services Unit is here to help members who have problems with their registration or who have had a complaint made against them that their regulatory body is  investigating. We support members every step of the way.

Help from UNISON

If, as a registered professional, you find yourself in that situation – you need to ensure that you take prompt action to get the help you need from UNISON. That means if you hear from your regulator we are your first call – don’t delay or leave it on the dining room table.
When we hear from you we can start supporting you. Hopefully you will never need to call on us for this sort of representation, but if you do we can only help you if you have been a UNISON member for at least four weeks continuously before the alleged problem or complaint happened.

If you meet that criteria – and you have been referred to your regulator by your employer, the police, a service user or anyone else – then you should contact your local UNISON rep immediately. If you don’t know who that is please call us on 0800 0 857 857 and we
can give you contact details for your branch.

What you will need to do

Your branch rep will ask you to fill out a CASE form – you can find more information and download a copy from the professional registration section at This will ensure that your rep has all the information they need to help you.

You will also need to provide copies of:

• all the correspondence and documents you have
received from the regulatory body about the allegations
against you
• all records or notes of your employer’s disciplinary
meetings/hearings about the allegation against

UNISON will provide representation and advice at all stages of the regulator’s investigatory process – so remember, you should contact us immediately.

Do not resign from your post. We know that this can be a very stressful time and can impact on your health, so if you feel unwell see your GP. If you resign without
it being discussed and agreed with us, it could affect our ability to represent you and your case with your regulator. Whatever the circumstances talk to us first so you can make an informed decision.

Who we can help

Our advice and help covers members who are registered with any of the following health and social care professional regulatory bodies in the UK:

Nursing and Midwifery Council
Health and Care Professions Council
Care Council for Wales
General Pharmaceutical Council
General Osteopathic Council
General Optical Council
General Medical Council
General Dental Council
General Chiropractic Council
Northern Ireland Social Care Council
Pharmaceutical Society of Northern Ireland
Scottish Social Services Council


This site uses cookies. Find out more about this site’s cookies.